Hohenschwangau Castle, also known as Schloss Hohenschuangau, is located in southern Germany, Hohenschwangau near Füssen and is very close to Austria's border. Hohenschwangau castle was the castle which King Ludwig II resided in during his childhood. It was built by Ludwigs father, King Maximilian II. The castle was previously a medieval fortress which was built in the 12th century by knights. The fortress changed owners many times but eventually decayed and became ruins at the start of the 19th century.
Maximilian discovered the historic site during a walking tour in 1879 and decided that it was a beautiful setting where he could build a new castle. Maximilian used this castle as a hunting and summer residence. When Maximilian died in 1864, Ludwig was succeeded to the throne and moved into his fathers old room in the castle. Ludwig carried out many changes on the castle and desired for it to be a stage for Richard Wagner to perform his operas. Some of the rooms in the castle were designed solely for the purpose of performing operas. All around the castle you could find paintings that reflected to Wagner’s opera work.
As Ludwig never married, his mother, Queen Marie was able to stay in her room in the castle and when Ludwig died in 1886, his mother was the only resident of the castle until 1889 when she died. Prince Regent Lutipold resided in the castle until 1912 when he died. The following year the castle opened as a museum.
The castle is an extremely popular tourist attraction and people visit the castle to explore the different rooms and features in the castle and enjoy the pleasurable view that the castle has to offer from the top floor. The castle is an extremely popular tourist attraction with over 1 million visitors visiting each year. The castle is well known for being situated in a highly attractive landscape.
The castles main highlights and features are the Hall of the swan knight, which was used as a dining room and is well known for its famous wall paintings which represent scenes from the classic tale of Lohengrin. The chapel, which was built during the time of King Maximilian. The singers room, which was devoted to Richard Wagner for performing his operas. The hall of heroes, which takes up the width of the whole castle and features some amazing ceiling paintings, The Berchta room which includes paintings devoted to Charlemagna and Berchta. The room of Hohenstaufen, which was a music and dressing room for Ludwig. The Tasso room which features some interesting paintings which respresent the story of Rinaldo and Armida and the Authari room which was named after the king of langobards, Authari.
The castle garden contains many features such as the swan fountain, the fountain of the little goose man which was originally sculpted by Hans Peisser in 1500, a lion fountain with four lions which support the central fountain basin, a grotto containing a red granite bath and flooring and a fountain in the courtyard which contains a painting of the holy mother holding Jesus on her lap.